My district has a policy that excludes fines.  Students who lose or
damage books must pay for them, however.  Students who have overdues
cannot check out material until the book is returned.  We send notices,
and I visit classes to hustle the really overdue ones.  I also call home
when necessary.  Seniors must pay all debts before graduating, but that
is the only class we have a real hold over, other than the stop on
checking out materials.

Hope this helps.

Mark Williams
Colton High School Library
mwillia@cello.gina.calstate.edu
"I never do anything on impulse.  Warp speed is MUCH faster."

LM_NET Archive Home