I am Shirley Pirkle, librarian at Gonzales Junior High School in Gonzales,
Texas.  When we automated last year we decided not to charge fines except
for damaged books or defaced barcodes.  Students here can not check out
books if they have a late book.  For the most part the books are coming
in just as well as they did last year.  The fines in the past did not
help to get books in, so we decided not to worry about the hassle of
fines. It is working out fine. You might try doing without fines.
Good luck.

Shirley Pirkle
spirkle@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home