Due to transmission problems, the last part of "What is a Middle School
Teacher" was not sent.

And then, after you're SURE you've lost them, they come back the next day
ready to give you the attention of a dog who smells red meat in your pocket.
They force you to be all the substitutes they need:  a doctor, a
psychiatrist, a mother, and father, a big brother or sister, a peacemaker, a
police enforcer - even a banker at times when they need money for the phone.
We're walking security blankets.
Yes, I have to admit, they can make us feel needed and valuable - not to
mention good about ourselves when a lesson we planned gets them excited and
they go after learning like a cannibal at a dinner party.  Through it all,
we offer steadfast consistency - walking Rocks of Gibralter - as these
middle schoolers try out life like young sparrows trying to leave the nest.
We deserve a badge - it should read, "NOT JUST ANYONE CAN TEACH MIDDLE
SCHOOL - AND MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHERS ARE NOT JUST ANYONE!"

Written by Nancy Schaitel, Sparta Middle School Teacher, Sparta, WI

LM_NET Archive Home