FROM THE NEW ALAWON:

              FACT SHEET: FY 96 CLINTON BUDGET FOR LIBRARIES

     The following is one Fact Sheet to be distributed on Legislative Day
along with other materials designed to help library advocates make informed
contacts with their Senators and Representatives.  More Fact Sheets will
follow this one in upcoming issues of ALAWON.

                      FY96 CLINTON BUDGET FOR LIBRARIES

Budget Comparison FY 1995 to FY 1996 (amounts in thousands)

                                             FY 1995              FY 1996
             Program                         Approp.               Admin.
                                                                   Request
Library Services and Construction Act        $132,745             $106,927
  I, public library services                   83,227               89,135
  II, public library construction              17,792               17,792
  III, interlibrary cooperation                23,700                    0
  IV, Indian library services            2%  of  LSCA  I,  II,  and III
  VI, library literacy programs                 8,026                    0
Higher Education Act                         $ 11,416             $      0
  II-A, college library technology                  0                    0
  II-B, library education                       4,916                    0
  II-B, research and demonstrations             6,500                    0
  II-C, research libraries                          0                    0

LSCA I and II Only Programs Included.

   The Clinton Administration FY96 budget, sent to Congress on February 6,
requests funding for titles I and II of the Library Services and
Construction Act. LSCA I, public library services, is recommended for a $6
million increase. LSCA II for public library construction and technology
enhancement would be level funded. The other LSCA programs currently funded
title III interlibrary cooperation and resource sharing (under which much
Internet connectivity, training, and technical support has been funded)
would be zeroed out, along with title VI library literacy projects.
   The rationale given for eliminating LSCA III is that title I funds could
be used for networking and resource-sharing activities that improve
services provided by public libraries. However, current law limits the
extent to which LSCA I funds can be used for projects that involve more
than public libraries.
   LSCA II rationale indicates that level funding would allow the purchase
of equipment, including technology enhancements, that would enable states
to expand their networking capabilities and participate in the development
of the national information infrastructure. However, equipment alone does
not make libraries full drivers on the information superhighway. LSCA III
is also needed to fund training, software, technical support, and sharing
resources across local and state lines.

HEA Library Programs All Zeroes.
   All Higher Education Act library programs ($11,416,000) would be
eliminated. The rationale in Department of Education budget documents is
that other sources of funding could support these activities.

School Library Resources Program Not Included.

   The budget contains no funding for the new ESEA III-F School Library
Resources Program enacted last October.  However, ESEA III educational
technology programs would be increased from the current $40 million to $83
million.

Outlook in Congress?
   The details of the Clinton budget are likely to be rearranged in the
Republican controlled Congress. However, the fact that the total for
Department of Education library programs would be cut from the current $144
million to $106 million (or by 26 percent) will make it that much more
difficult to restore the difference or add to it.

Rescissions Requested for HEA II-B and LSCA VI.
   The Administration's budget includes a request that Congress rescind
(that is, defund) monies already appropriated for the Higher Education Act
title II-B library education and training program, and for the LSCA VI
library literacy projects.

ACTION NEEDED:
   All library programs, whether or not included in the President's budget,
are at risk of zero funding in fiscal year 1996. All library supporters
should contact their Representatives and Senators to urge funding of
Department of Education LSCA, HEA, and ESEA library programs at a level of
$1 per person in the United States. To meet this goal, Congress should
appropriate an additional 43 CENTS per person ($258 million total) to help
libraries ramp up, reach out, and retrain for the 21st century.

***** I URGE ALL MEMBERS OF LMNET TO ELECTRONICALLY SUBSCRIBE TO ALAWON*****

and other documents are available from the list server.  To find out what's
available, send the message "send ala-wo filelist" to the listserv.  The
ALA-WO filelist contains the list of files with the exact filename and
filetype.  To get a particular file, issue the command "send filename
filetype" to the listserv.  Do not include the quotes in your commands.

All materials in the newsletter subject to copyright by the American
Library Association may be reprinted or redistributed for noncommercial
purposes with appropriate credits.  For other reprinting or redistribution,
address requests to the ALA Washington Office (alawash@alawash.org).

***************************************************************************I'VE
 GOTTEN SEVERAL RESPONSES BACK ABOUT WHAT BILLS TO CALL ABOUT.
************************* _________***********************************
| Tom Hart              <__    _ * \ -  /      Tom Hart               |
| <hart@lis.fsu.edu>       \--/  \     |       2610 Mayfair Rd.       |
| Professor, School of Lib        |     \      Tallahassee, FL 32303  |
| and Info Studies,               /      |     Home (904) 385-7550    |
| Florida State University,       |      /                            |
| Tallahassee, FL 32306-2048       \     |                            |   |
| Office Phone: 904/644-8122        \   /                             |
| Fax 904/644-9763                   \ /                              |
Internet:  hart@lis.fsu.edu

LM_NET Archive Home