Many thanks to all of you wonderful netters who responded to my query
about whether or not to charge fines.  I was especially pleased to fine
that my "gut" feelings about the whole issue were so strongly supported
by so many, i.e. DON'T CHARGE FINES.

The response was about equally divided between yes and no for charging,
but the difference was that those people who don't seem really happy with
that decision, and for the most part those people who still do charge do
so primarily because "it's always been done."

Anyway, I went to my headmaster - armed with all your replies - and he
has wholeheartedly supported my decision to drop fines next year.  We
will continue to charge for loss and damage (and thank you for the
suggestions of flat fees for loss) and will add some of your creative
punishments, such as not allowing people with overdue books to go to
school dances.  We'll also continue to hold report cards and records for
anyone who owes anything to the library.

We are, of course, a fairly small (300 student) private school (grades
5-12), so we can set our own policies.

Again thanks for your wonderful responses.

Sarah Giddings
sarahg@nando.net
St. Timothy's Middle/Hale High School
Raleigh NC