It's obvious we have to take some losses with materials, although that's
regrettable.  I would hope that possibly a better love of reading could
be instilled in that student, and his recognition that it costs money to
replace a book that he was responsible for--so that he would take that
responsibility upon himself to work to replace the book.  Maybe I'm
looking for Utopia.  I wouldn't punish the child by forbidding him to
check out other books, unless of course, he is being totally
irresponsible and cavalier about the matter.  In that case, I would feel
justified in explaining to him that these are not his personal collection
to do with whatever he wants, but that checking out books are a privilege
given to him, and also necessary for his reports and to finish class
assignments.  Sometimes we have to make judgment calls that may impact on
future library use.  Hope this helps!
Betty Copeland
St. Michael's Academy
Austin, Texas