I think you have hit upon a significant concern.  Many of our students
are also simply unable to pay for lost books.  I let them pay it off a
dollar or a quarter at a time if that helps.  I also let students "work"
off payment-- even though it is fun for them I hope that it helps instill
some love/respect for libraries and books.  Are there any other
solutions?  I far prefer dealing with those kids who are willing to work
than those who simply don't care and whose families are point blank
unwilling to pay for lost books.  Another concern along similar lines is
responsibility for books lost from other schools.  Our students are very
mobile and many are followed by notices about books not returned at their
last school.  I do what I can but usually books are lost in moving and I
don't have enough time in my life to be a "policeperson".  What do others do?
Carol Harma
Guy Lee Elem.
Springfield, OR charma@efn.org

LM_NET Archive Home