     Thanks to all for a great response.  This is my first attempt at posting a
hit, so I hope this is  Okay.
     I asked for advantages/disadvantages of Follett and Alexandria for library
automation because they are the choices given in our district.  My middle
school is all MAC, but it was felt that the library automation should be
Follett because that is what the high school near us has, and we may want to
network with them eventually.

     Although I heard from almost the same humber of Alexandria users as
users that thought I should choose Follet, the responses were very different.
The Alexandria users were lavish in their praise of Alexandria.  Here are
some excerpts:
     *Alexandria is beutiful, we love it, great customer support. *Has used
A. for four years. *A. is the greatest, broad variety of reports available,
good customer support. (Respondent sells Scholar System and says...) *customers
who switch from the Follett system can't seem to make the transition to another
system fast enough. Not so former users of Alexandria. *Whole district went
Alexandria. <Respondent teaches library classes and says...) Follett doesn't
meet many of the requirements of an automation system.  *Extremely pleased with
A., technical support has been friendly, helpful and accessible.  The telephone
at Companion (manufactures A.) is always answered by a real person.  Management
of the software is incredibly easy.

     People who felt I should consider Follett answered:
     * I like a PC, but you should get the one you feel comfortable with.
* I use Follett, but you should go with what is already in your school.
*F. has the lion" share of the automation market, and IBM's and clones are
plentiful, you have more choice. *Feels it would be an advantage to be on
the same system as the high school.  *Have Follett because we wanted to network
with our high school *You should seriously look at what your high school is
using.

    Also: *Winnebago is wonderful.  * We enjoy Molli.  *Athena is put out by a
good company with great technical support.

   I believe this a fair represntation of the responses.  Thanks again for the
support.
   Jo Trauger, Tenaya Middle School, Fresno, CA.
     (jtrauge@cello.gina.calstate.edu)

LM_NET Archive Home