Just one example:  a social studies teacher assigned his high school
juniors to research the "livability" of the 77 largest cities in the U.S.
(one city per kid).  By connecting to the Internet through a T1 line
provided by our state (running Netscape software), they were able to
view, read, and print information from the Homepages of the cities.
These provided detailed information which they never could have found
anywhere in our state, let alone in my library.

   However, I agree with your basic premise that at this point in time
MOST assignments are solved more quickly and effectively through the use
of reference materials.  I have said many times:  Using the Internet to
find basic information is like driving miles to a distant mall to buy a
bottle of milk.

     Carole H. Carpenter         chcrpntr@strauss.udel.edu
     Milford Sr. H.S.
     Milford, DE 19963