Here are a few more ideas.  There are a lot of miss frizzles out there!  We
are working hard to memorize our library card numbers this year, so the
idea of dressing all in white and putting my barcode on my shirt sounds
pretty good.  Have fun.  If there are any more different responses, I'll
send them along. Laurie

My brother lives in Austin, Texas, which has a very environment-conscious
population.  He said one of the cleverest costumes he saw there (people
all over town dress up for the day) was a giant black/green garbage bag
labeled -- Oil Spill.  Quick and easy and makes a statement.  I don't
know how the guy did his face, but I could probably dream up something
appropriate with, perhaps, vaselined or oiled hair!  Yuck!

I dressed as "Miss Nelson" with black wig & long nasty fake fingernails,
and in the coach's costume (paint or something on black sweats, as I
recall.  Can't remember for sure.)  Also, put on man's suit, & wore
a Dick Nixon mask.

 My costume is easy...a pair of boots, a pair of men's pants or
jeans, a plaid flannel shirt and an orange vest and orange hat....a bit
of eyebrow pencil scrubbed onto  my face to make a beard and mustache and
I am a hunter (typical Utah for October!).  With my hair tucked up under
the hat, it is surprising, but I am rarely identified...even by principal
or teachers much less the kids.  What a hoot!
        I just moved to a middle school (7-8) and found out that we don't
dress for Halloween.  Oh, well, no disguise this year.........

I love your idea!  We are not having Halloween per se this year, we
are having character day.  I just might "steal" your idea!
        My suggestion:  Last year I dressed as Viola Swamp.  (From Miss
Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard)  I wore a black skirt and blazer with
some drab blouse.  I fixed my hair so that it was slick on top and "pouffy"
on the sides.  I thickened my eyebrows, and make enormous lips and round red
circles on my cheeks.  I spoke in a mean, raspy voice all day.  It was also
announced that Miss Viola Swamp was a sub for the day in the library.
Everyone loved it!  Some kids (and adults) couldn't tell it was me. (Look in
one of the Miss Nelson books for ideas on how to dress.)   Good Luck.  BTW:
Yes!  Please post any ideas you get.

what a great idea for a costume.  I'll have to try that some time.  I've
decided that each year I would pick a different character from a story.
The first year I dressed as the Cat in the Hat.  I wore black tights and
a black turtle neck, white gloves and drew whiskers on my face.  I made a
tie and a top hat out of construction paper, outlining the tie with black
so that it looked "cartoonish."  An long umbrella with a handle would
have been great but I didn't have one.  Last year I went as Max from
Where the wild things are.  I wore white sweat pants and a white hooded
sweatshirt, made ears and a tail out of fake fur, a crown out of
construction paper (again outlining in black to make a "cartoon"
appearance) and made a scepter out of an empty laminating film roll with
a ball at the top.  I was planning to dress as Viola Swamp from the Miss
Nelson books this year but I have an all day workshop to go to on
Halloween...bummer!

[...]

Aloha!

 A trench coat and two ball caps one worn forward and one backwards and you
have Nate the Great.  Carry a magnifying glass.

I always dress up as "Waldo". IT's the easiest costume in the world..Red
& white striped shirt, jeans, stocking cap. Of course it helps that I
have short brown hair and round wire rimmed glasses.  One year my
assistant was also Waldo and we had great time messing with the kids.
Whenever one of them would ask us "where's Waldo" we'd just point to each
other. Some of the kids went back and forth several times before they
caught on.  The "real" Waldo's were of course all checked out.

I used a pattern for a strawberry and made it out of red felt. Then I
wrote a "lie" such as "My dog ate my homework." on each of 20-25 white
fabric circular seeds. My costume is a Lieberry. Most of our middle
school students get it.

Dear Laurie--great to see your name again--one year Carmelle and I wore
t-shirts that had a generic bar code on them and said "generic costume" on
the back since it was the first year that we had circ plus--before the days
of smart barcodes and Winnebago.  Another year, since we are about same
height, coloring, etc., and some of the kids can't tell us apart, we dressed
exactly alike (we often do by mistake since we have similar clothes) and
wore signs that said "Librarian #1" and "Librarian #2", but yours sounds the
best by far.  We're thinking of making an enlarged copy of our own patron
barcodes and having it silk screened on a t-shirt for this year.

I did a Mrs. Frizzle style costume. Found Halloween material and made a dress
and bought a cheap red frizzy wig. Of course I was new and hardly anyone
recognized me but at least I was there in an appropriate costume! I'm trying
for Miss Rumphius this year but forgot to buy a package of lupine seeds in
the spring so am on a hunt for some now. Walking shoes, blue demin skirt,
green cape (still have to make it!) and my grandmother's switch made into a
bun.

Laurie Carter- Librarian                        3195 Woodside Rd.
Woodside Elementary School                      Woodside, CA 94062
                    lcarter@woodside.K12.ca.us
"Minds are like parachutes.  They only function when open."

LM_NET Archive Home