Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 20:22:28 -0400
From: BL Branch <BLBRANCH@AOL.COM>
To: Multiple recipients of list K12ADMIN <K12ADMIN@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Subject: Re: California Whole Language query

The most recent information regarding Whole Language problems in California
is the report of the State Superintendent For Education, Delaine Eastin's,
Task Force Report which just came out last week. If you send me A SASE with
about $2.00 worth of stamps I can mail a copy to anyone who is interested.
Basically it says that Total Whole Language does not work. WE must have a
balance between Whole Language and skills/phonics to properly teach reading.
Those of us who were in tune with the California Language Arts Framework knew
this all along but many factions overly promoted Whole Language to the
exclusion of basic skills/phonics/spelling, etc.

Barbara Branch, Principal
Lisbon Elementary School
7555 South Land Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95831