The book with the stranded car is "Snow Bound"  by Harry Mazer.  I also
suggest "Adrift: 76 Days Lost At Sea" by Callahan.  It even has diagrams
of how to survive on the ocean with minimal equipment, and it's a true story.
Jennifer Moreland, Redlands Middle School (jennym@tripath.colosys.net)

On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Betty Dawn Hamilton wrote:

> > I need your help!  Our students have finished reading "Hatchet" and
> > "Deathwatch" and want more information sources about wilderness
> > survival.  We ask the students to figure out hos to survive if they are
> > lost on a camping trip.  Can anybody help with sources--books, videos, etc?
>
> Monica, you didn't say what grade level your students are, but _Lost in
> a (the?) Desert_ is one.  I don't remember the author, but I believe it
> begins with R or S (if I remember the placement on the shelf
> correctly!).  It's probably more of a 6th grade book, but it does tell
> how the boy survived in the desert.
>
> Another is _May Day!_ by someone beginning with "M" -- shelf placement
> again! And then there is one where a boy and a girl are stranded in a car
> in a snow storm, but I don't even remember the title of that one -- just
> a picture of a snowboud car on the front.
>
> Betty
>                                 .----.
> Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
> bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
> Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
>                                   \     {
>                                     \  }
>                                       ~

LM_NET Archive Home