        Perhaps the reason some people seem to be backing off, is not so much
that that director is gone, but that they have not seen evidence on their
campus that flex scheduling is working for them.  Don't get me wrong.  I
believe that flex scheduling...if it is a part of a collaborative effort
and tied to resource-based learning...is the absolute best way to go.
Notice, however, that "best" implies something other than "only."  What I
have seen in my district, is that many people were coerced by some pretty
strident others, to implement a major change that they had not helped
formulate and had not bought into.  Many librarians in that situation,
did not feel comfortable or capable and yet were made to feel stupid and
unprofessional unless they agreed to go totally flex.  Many of them did
not succeed.  I don't think these were stupid or unprofessional
librarians.  I believe they were insufficiently trained and
insufficiently nurtured while they were trying.  I also believe that on
many campuses the schedule became flex, but through lack of training or
practice or confidence, the integration into the curriculum and the
resource-based learning that is  part and parcel of the whole idea did
not occur.  Naturally, teachers, principal's and not a few librarians
began to question the whole process.
        What do I offer as a solution?  First, I believe that librarians
and teachers need to learn how to collaborate.  I believe that teachers
as well as librarians need to "buy in" to the idea of resource-based
learning.  Resource-based learning is the reason that flex scheduling is
important.  I get the impression that too many of us have harped on the idea
of flexible scheduling without tying it in to the reason why we feel it is so
important.  Then, the scheduling or lack of it looks like a problem to
others on our campus (for example a principal trying to fit everyone into
a tight master schedule) and seems to be very self-serving.
        Next, I believe that we need to start listening to one another.
If the principal and teachers are resisting flexible scheduling because
they believe their students are not going to learn essential library
skills, we need to be able to articulate how we are going to make sure
that does not happen.  Certainly it is not our intent to have students
use the library less.  We would argue, instead, that students on flex
schedules actually will use the library and its resources more.  They may
spend more time and more productive time in the library than ever
before.  We have to be very honest, though, and admit, that if there is
no reason given to be in the library, some Will use the library less.
Then our task is to show how we will prevent that from happening.  This
is where the collaboration of the teacher and the librarian must come
into play.
        Finally, I believe that we must recognize the human frailties
that we all share.  Change...especially when imposed from outside...is
frightening and we tend to resist it.  If we feel that we must change and
be immediately judged on our performance, we are, quite naturally, even
more resistant.  I believe many librarians and teachers are in this
position over flex vs. fixed schedules. I'm not advocating "giving up the
ghost."  What I am advocating is using a kinder, gentler approach and
then following through with results.

        I apologize for the length of my response, but I don't feel that
this is a question to be answered with one or two lines.  We are
experiencing similar things in my district.  Let's remember to work with
others in our schools and not against.

Cheryl
        Cheryl Bybee, Director of Library Services --  Northside ISD
        6632 Bandera Road, Bldg. D              San Antonio, TX 78238
                        (210)522-8190     cbybee@tenet.edu