Since I've had several requests to share suggestions I received on
reading for positive black female role models, here goes.  I have
summarized suggestions, adding annotations.  Since I had not posted this
as a target, I'm reluctant to recopy entire messages.

Maya Angelou - suggested by 6 people, both generally and with specific
titles including Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now and I Know Why
the Cage Bird Sings.
about Caged Bird *if that doesnt help her, nothing will*
*certainly qualify as a role model.  She has suffered great adversity,
but she has survived and is recognized as successful*
Connie Briscoe.  Sisters and Lovers
Gwendolyn Brooks, poetry *very realistic, maybe even critical of white
society, but positive about life*

Bebe Moore Campbell. any book
Lorraine [or Lorene?] Cary. Black Ice. - suggested by 4 people
*story of a young woman from the inner city who got a scholarship to an
exclusive prep school during civil rights times.  She felt totally out of
place, but realized the importance of the opportunity.  She is now a
successful journalist* [or teacher?]
Shirley Chisholm - books about
Anna Julia Cooper.  A Voice from the South
Delaney Sisters.  Having Our Say.  - suggested by  2 people
*lovely read for a black woman or any woman*
*positive outlook on life*
Rita Dove.  Through the Ivory Gate [fiction]
Marian Wright Edelman. Measure of Our Success - suggested by 2 people
Charlayne Hunter Gault - suggested by 5  people
Rosa Guy. The Music of Summer
Eleanor Norton Holmes.
Hurston. Their Eyes are Watching God
Barbara Jordan - books about her, suggested by 2 people
Brian Lanker.  I Dream a World: Portraits of Black Women Who
Changed America.
*a beautiful book of portraits and short bios of dynamic black women -
very inspirational*
Tina Ansa McElroy.  Baby in the Family
Pat and Fred McKissack. Ain't I a Woman
*about Sojourner Truth*
Phil Mendez. The Black Snowman.  A picture book *truly for all ages*,
reminding us of *the pride we should have and rightfully inherited from
our ancestors...that we should pass on to others*
Toni Morrison. The Bluest Eyes
Walter Dean Myers.  Now is Your Time
Gloria Naylor. The Women of Brewster Place . suggested by 2 people.
*lots of role model choices, different lifestyle choices*
The Schomburg series on Black Women of the 1880's
Mildred Taylor.  Role of Thunder: Hear My Cry; Let the Circle be
Unbroken, Road to Memphis
Cynthia Voigt.  Come a Stranger
*One of my favorite books...about a very self-possessed young woman,
Mina, who's black... a realistic portrayal of a solid, smart, funny,
independent young woman who's asking herself young adult questions about
who she is, what it means to be black, what it means to grow up.*
Alice Walker. suggested by 2 people
*Nettie - in The Color Purple- is a victim in the beginning but overcomes
that to become successful and happy*
Margaret Walker.  Jubilee
Cornell West.  Race Matters
*confronts the issues this young woman is also thinking about; he
comments on them in a forthwright manner and his suggestions on how to
deal with them are based in love and humanity.*
Brenda Wilkinson. Luddell
Shirley Anne Williams.  Dessa Rose
Oprah Winfrey - biographies, suggested by 2 people
Richard Wright. Black Boy & Native Son
*black role models in general*

[no author listed] Christiana Riot.
*a true account of perhaps the first armed uprising by blackmen(one
freedman, two run-away slaves) in 1853 in Christiana PA...it may be
challenging for your bright senior to resurrectd a fascinating piece of
African American History*

Aside from books, I received a suggestion of a PBS video about Ida B
Wells called Passion for Justice.  *The recommendeer said that this was a
very important video for her own daughter when she (her daughter) was
exploring her own identity and felt a lot of anger and pain.*

Another person suggested finding a strong black female professional
person with a couple of degrees to serve as a role model and mentor.  I'm
working on that one.

P.S. The young lady for whom I sought suggestions has just been elected
Homecoming Queen!

Thanks to Kay Maynard, Linda Esser, Kari Inglis, Laura Brendon,
Amanda Smith, Jenifer Moreland, Diane Guilford, Sharon South, Julie
Anderson, Mabra Barge, Susan Geiger. Dana McDougal, Katie Wills, Mary
Ellen Scribner, Diane Durbin, Betty Laliberte, Steve Sipos, Cheri Estes,
Catherine Balkin, Josie Leavitt, and someone whom I can identify only as
SMTC165 for offering suggestions. LM_NET is the best.

Susan Baker
Bremerton High School
Bremerton Washington
sbaker@orca.esd114.wednet.edu