I only received four responses to this request so I am going to ask for
any more information at the same time that I post my two responses.  Two
people asked for more information.
    From: SharronMc@aol.com
I would think that the interpretation is a local one since in the state of
Iowa "schoolwide" plans are developed by a committee (in accordance with
federal regulations) provide for almost anything.  Our particular school is
heavily into ITI, brain-based learning, multi-age classrooms, and next year
we will be a school-wide title 1 center.  "Direct classroom" is not a
term I
am familiar with.  Our plan will impact heavily the status of technology,
library resources, and other permanent "aides" to instruction.   What more
can I tell you?  If copies of schoolwide plans would be of any help you might
contact:
Stuart Yager, Johnson Elementary
Terry O'Neil, Polk Elementary
(Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
From: Linwalkup@aol.com
Last year I was at a School-wide Chapter One school, and it was the first
year of the grant.  The team wrote the grant to include materials for a
professional collection in the library.  They tied it back to writing skills
of the students, saying the use of professional resources would help teachers
be prepared to help students learn better.
     I also purchased library books to support whole language, but it was not
written anywhere.  Some teachers taught using that method, and others didn't,
and I purchased books to support the curriculum, whether whole language or
not.  I spent about $23,000 doing this.
Tulsa Okla
From: TerrieM498@aol.com
The school can purchase materials under the "supplies" line if it fits with
your program.  Those "supplies" may end up in the library for access to all.
 We included the Accelerated Reader program as part of our title one program,
purchased the books, and then put them in the library for global access.

Kansas City

Martha Pankratz
Hohokam Middle School
Tucson, AZ