Netters -
  Am I the only one getting a little weary of "banned books lists" that have
no actual banned books on them?  PAW now calls it their "challenged" list but
what's the point?  If it is to spark interest in reading, then say so.
  But the fever pitch when citizens take part in public forums to help define
what materials are appropriate for the force feeding of children is a bit
much.  Parents do have a right to object.  We do have an obligation to
justify our choices.
  The reason for my weariness of this hysteria is that in California we
effectively ban most books for most children by not having school libraries.
 So why are we not screaming daily about a much more fundamental issue?
Richard Moore

LM_NET Archive Home