The following letter was sent to me requesting library help.  I really
don't know anything more than what's stated.  It certainly sounds like a
worthwhile effort.  If you are interested in finding out more, please
contact -

DAN KELLY -  dkelly@usit.net

>On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Dan Kelly wrote:
>
>> Mike, I am writing you at the suggestion of Ken Haycock. A group of United
>> Methodists are working under a program called Operation Classroom to help
>> upgrade the schools in Liberia and Sierra Leone. In our east Tennessee
>> area, we are concentrating on the J.J. Roberts United Methodist School,
>> Monrovia, Liberia.
>>
>> J.J. Roberts is a school of high teaching standards of some 900 students
>> from kindergarten through grade 9, the library lost about half its books
>> (some 3.000 volumns) during the recent civil war. We are in the process of
>> collecting books to be sent to the school; they should arrive there by the
>> first of December. The school principal, Mrs. Yei Wuor, has asked several
>> times if we could find a librarian to come and help with the library. That
>> is why  I am contacting you, since you have wide contacts. Would you be
>> willing to give some publicity to this?
>>
>> The months of January/February are good times to go there; it is the dry
>> season and not too hot. This is a completely volunteer task, and the
>> individual would need to care for his/her own expenses. From America, the
>> cost would be something like $2,100. The school will provide housing at the
>> Methodist compound. If you find persons interested, we can provide
>> additional information. While I have no training in library science, I am
>> making plans to go there myself early in 1997. We will have a 3-week work
>> team to go at that time to do physical work on the library: flooring,
>> painting, shelves, replace broken windows, etc.
>>
>> We will appreciate whatever promotion you can give. If persons have
>> suitable books they might wish to donate, I can supply information about
>> that process also.
>> Thanks, Dan Kelly.
   dkelly@usit.net

Again - please respond to Dan Kelly -

dkelly@usit.net

as I don't have any additional information.

LM_NET Archive Home