I read THE RIFLE and although I would never touch a gun (no political
comment or flames, please--just a frame of reference), I was fascinated
by the first part.  Once the story left the colonial period the pace
picked up so quickly that some details were lost, in my opinion.  I felt
the ending was a bit contrived.  I still felt that this would be an
excellent short book for reluctant readers, especially boys who might be
attracted by the subject.  I don't know if there was any personal point
in Paulsen's telling the tale.

Jeanette Larson
Texas State Library

LM_NET Archive Home