I have a magazine article from a few years back that states if children
aren't skilled in reading & don't like to read by 4th grade--it's too
late. I don't really know how they got this fact, but maybe trying to
encourage HS students to read is going to be a struggle regardless of
what "carrots" we would use.

From my personal experience, my daughter is a sophomore, Honors student,
loves to read, & has always read several years above grade level. Her
reading has *sharply* declined since last year--due to lack of free
time. She now has friends that drive so has more mobility, she's in Track
& Softball, is dating, etc. Maybe teenagers just don't have *time* to
read like they did in previous years.

Anybody care to comment?

*   Debbie Collier          Orange Grove Elementary  *
*   Librarian &             Houston, Texas           *
*   "Resourceress"          COLLIE@TENET.EDU         *