Another concept I use in teaching Dewey is to compare how we organize books
to how Wal*Mart, K-Mart, Sears, etc. arrange their stores.  If you need to
find a part for your car you go to the automotive department, if you need
to find clothes you go to the clothing department (and that is further
divided into clothes for men, women, girls, boys, and infants), etc.  Even
grocery stores group their products according to a plan, so we are not
really so unique.  The students go to these places often, so the
comparison is fairly simple and if they have not noticed these groupings
before then, we have now given them somethng to think about.  From here, I
also use the "address label" concept for the spine label and other ideas
already mentioned.

*       Beth Pounds                             *                         *
*       Beasley Middle School                   *       The Library-      *
*       Snail Mail:  1100 S. 18th St.           *                         *
*                    Palatka, FL  32177         *      Where Learning     *
*       Voice Mail:  (904) 329-0569             *                         *
*       Fax:  (904) 329-0670                    *        Never Ends       *
*       I-Net Mail:  poundsb@mail.firn.edu      *                         *
*       Bitnet Mail:  poundsb@firnvx            *                         *