I have a question concerning the correct method of filing a title
which begins with number.  Example: 1001 Dalmations (title)

I looked in the ALA Filing Rules (c1980) and rule 8.1 states that
the numbers are filed in numberical order.  Rule 1 states that
the character strings beginning with numerals are arranged before
character strings beginning with letters.

Therefore, 1001 Dalmations would be in the "D" drawer  arranged
numerically with any other numbered title whose next word
begins with "D" and then followed by all cards whose initial word
begins with D....Is this correct?

( Will I ever be automated and have the computer ghurus solve these
sorts of questions???)
TIA
Mary Ludwick         Ludwick@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home