Dear LM_Net Members,

Our Senior School English Department is looking for information on the author of
the epigraph at the beginning of _The Great Gatsby_.  His name is Thomas Parke
D'Invilliers, and the quote is:

        "Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
        If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
        Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
        I must have you!"

We have checked all our books on authors, the encyclopedias, the quotation books
and Granger's without success.  If anyone can give us any information at all on
this person, or a lead on another source, we would appreciate it very much.

Helen F. Thomas, Senior School Librarian
Munich International School, Germany
Internet:100425.3655@compuserve.com

LM_NET Archive Home