When do you expect the LMS to enter students' names in the computer and
assign barcodes?  When would you have them assign and deliver AV
equipment and computers?  When should they process the new materials that
have arrived during the summer?  Do you expect them to come back to work
BEFORE the students and teachers to do everything that is required to gear
up the LMC for the new year?  When will administrators wake up and
realize that direct classroom instruction is not the only thing happening
in a successful school program?  To borrow a phrase, "It takes a village
to run a school" and all of the villagers do not have the same tasks.  It
is this attitude of trying to make LMSs the same as classroom teachers
that has caused many LMSs to return to the classroom.  Why do two jobs
when you are still paid for only one?  We have a unique position in the
school and we should be recognized for our contributions - even if they
are not the same as those of the classroom teacher.  EVERYTHING we do is
to the ultimate benefit of the students and teachers.  I would suggest a
different alteration of our contracts - ADD two weeks so we will not have
to "take care of our library business" on our vacation time.
Cathy Roach
LMS
Dan Rogers Elementary School
Dallas, Texas
croach@tenet.edu

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Deborah Chaney wrote:

> I was surprised by your last question. Does a classroom teacher wonder
> what to do the first couple of weeks of school(perhaps!!), and does she/he
> have the liberty of NOT seeing students during that time period?
> Perception is reality, and if librarians show that they are not needed at
> the beginning or end of the school year, then it would seem reasonable to
> cut back their service contracts by one month (2 at the beginning and 2
> at the end). The first day of school can be and usually is too
> hectic-registration/new students/class placements/etc. But why would you
> not invite classes to your library that first week, to read to them or to

LM_NET Archive Home