On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Anne S. Repp wrote:

> Today a rep from GUMDROP Books dropped by the library.  I had
> never heard of Gumdrop, and asked for the names of the publishers he
> represented.  I had never heard of any of them (but I am new)
> and I wonder if anyone has heard of Gumdrop Books -- and what
> your opinion is.  Thanks in advance . . . Anne

Anne and Group,

I have purchased Gumdrop books at several different times and have been
very satisfied each time. At one time, they seemed to have mostly
elementary books, but in the last few years, I have found some that high
schoolers can use.  Generally, the prices are good and the advantage I
see is that I get to actually look at the sample books instead of reading
about them in a catalog.  The disadvantage is that sometime I have
difficulty finding the time to sit down and browse those books when the
rep is in town.

There is another jobber who brings books to show that I probably *won't*
buy from again. I discovered after I purchased some that her prices were
generally *higher* than what is offered in catalogs. So far, I haven't
found that to be true of Gumdrop.  I just do them like I do any jobber
purchase -- I look at the publisher, the copyright dates, and browse the
content (most offerings are non-fiction).  Of course, when one purchases
on sight, one does not have such things as reading/interest levels (unless
they are in the publication information), review sources, etc., that one
gets from a catalog.

                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home