We have several faculty members who think nothing of asking who has a
particular book our, or what books a specific student has out, and one
teacher has even walked behind the desk and checked the computer files
himself.<<<<

     The AASL Statement on Confidentiality of Library Records which appears
in App D of Information Power would be a good place to start for a policy on
this issue.
     This is a serious problem but I suspect more than a policy is needed
here.  Many teachers (and others) that I have initially encountered do not
understand the broader picture on such issues as confidentiality and
intellectual freedom.  We not only need policies but regular and effective
information strategies that people can relate to; i.e. "how would you feel if
the public library gave your circulation records out when a parent came into
the library with that request?"
Marjorie Pappas
Univ of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA  50614-0462