My suggestion is to avoid absolute terms such as "open" and "closed.

If a student asks, "Is the library open?" I respond by asking what
he/she needs.  If there's a genuine need, the student will receive
service.  If not, I mention that I'm working with the seventh grades and
I'll need to speak to the study halls before beginning regular service
for the study halls.

I don't use the word "closed" when I work with a class, either.  My term
is, "The library is reserved for a class this period."

(Why send up a red flag?)

--
Elizabeth A. Eley
Ada Exempted Village School District