Our media center charges 10 cents/page no matter if it is a computer
printout or a copier copy.  I have 6 computers available for student
use/computer printout capabilities.  The system which I use is the honor
system.  With some awareness on my part I know when a student is
printing.  The student will then come to the circulation desk and say "I
have x number of pages" or I will say to the student "How much do you owe
me?" or simply ask them if they printed anything.  There will always be
some students who try to avoid paying but as a general statement this
system works quite well for us in this media center.

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Leila Silverberg wrote:

> I read with interest the HIT about charging students for computer printouts
> and how some schools allow the first two or three pages gratis and then charge
> for succeeding pages.  My question is: how do you monitor this activity?  With
> six stations in our media center and two other labs open to students during
> the day, there is no way we can keep track of who is doing what, how many
> pages are being printed, etc.  How do you have students pay?  Sounds like a
> lot of bookkeeping for someone.  I'd be curious to know how you all do this,
> because I have a feeling that kids would be more responsible about what they
> copy and how much they copy if they knew there would be a charge at the end of
> the road.  I'll bet you get as steamed as I do when a student decides *not* to
> really read that 1300-line SIRS article to see what he/she needs and instead
> just decides to copy the whole thing and look at it later.  Even if the
> article is downloaded, you can bet that it will probably be copied in its
> entirety.  I will post a HIT if there is a response.
>
> Leila Silverberg
> Whitefish Bay High School
> Milwaukee, Wisconsin
> leilas@omnifest.uwm.edu