We have students and a parent/guardian sign our "contract" for Internet
access.  The agreement stresses student and parental responsibility.  We
are a 7-12 building.  Our 7th and 8th grade students only have "guided"
access, using the Internet for specific projects with a teacher.  Parents
of 9th-12th graders have the option of limiting their children to
"guided" access or may grant "independent" access (which most do).
Independent access means that students can come to the media center or
use the Internet individually in the classroom, still under supervision
but not necessarily limited to a specific project.  Students who have not
returned their contracts are not allowed to use the Internet.  Although
we don;t want to make the Internet seem mysterious or "bad," We felt that it
was very important to stress responsibility and accountability (for students,
parents, and teachers).  Our students have to be let into the Internet by
a teacher (we use At Ease on our computers) and, of course, must be
monitored.

Good luck with your presentation.

Jayne Moore

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Pat Premo wrote:

> Fellow LM_NETters,
>      My high school principal asked me to ask if those of you "out
> there" that have AUPs in place have parents sign one line saying their
> student has permission to use or another line saying their student does
> not have permission to use or if your AUP must be returned signed or
> unsigned.  He thinks if students do not turn in a signed AUP that means
> the same thing as parents not giving permission.  What are your thoughts
> and rationales?  I have to present our proposed AUP at a technology
> committee meeting this Thursday evening 12/5 and would appreciate your
> thoughts.  TIA  patpremo@bbs.tcbi.com

Jayne Moore                     jmoore@umd5.umd.edu
St. Michaels High School        tel (410) 745-2852
200 Seymour Avenue              fax (410) 745-3532
St. Michaels MD  21663

LM_NET Archive Home