I have compiled a list of the replies I received from my query about
Winnebago.  I hope I have got it all correct, some was more technical
than I am.  I also hope I didn't leave out anything.  The environments
that Winnebago is being used in are: DOS, PC networked with Lantastic in
1 school, MAC version on ethernet network, Windows 95 on Novel 4.1, peer
to peer networks, Windows NT, IBM ethernet, and Novell network (the most
frequently mentioned environment).
Positive comments included: Fantastic service (most frequently mentioned,
although one person thought it was a bit pricey); good union catalogue,
easy to use; annotated bibliographies; print own barcodes; has easy entry
screen and full entry screen with MARC tags.
Negative comments included; sunbject headings "file" in list form; no
Internet accessible version; patron information is not protected.

The new version Spectrum is supposed to be out this Spring.  Apparently
it will require a dedicated server.

Today I went to a demo of the program.  I was not impressed but it wasn't
because of the product.  The salesperson was not very impressive, he
couldn't answer some of our specific questions.
We haven't made our decision here yet.  Probably it won't happen until
the New Year.
Thanks again to all those who responded.

Ruth Shaw
Vermilion Elementary School
Vermilion, AB Canada

LM_NET Archive Home