Dear LM_NET Colleagues,

A Reminder From the LM_NET Etiquette Document:

3. Chain letters or messages requesting mass mailings to other addresses
are strictly forbidden, as are spams and commercial postings (plus notices
about the "Craig Shergold postcard request" or the "Good Times Computer
Virus" -- Internet legends.) Please review our Frequently Asked Questions
(FAQ), posted twice monthly before asking "stumper" questions (i.e., for
the three -gry ending words).

  If in doubt, please check with one of the LM_NET owners before posting
"alarming" warnings or "stumpers" to the group.
  Owners:  pmilbury@ericir.syr.edu or mike@ericir.syr.edu

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Carol Weinshel wrote:

> Good Morning Group,
> I received a message telling me to "DELETE ALL MESSAGES REQUESTING PENPAL
> GREETINGS AND DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY MESSAGE ENTITLED PENPAL GREETINGS".
> Although it appears friendly, this is a virus that has the potential of
> destroying hard drives, data and is self-replicating.  Additionally, it
> automatically forwards itself to anyone whose e-mail address is present in
> your mailbox.  It has the potential of doing terrible things worldwide and
> is called the "Trojan Horse".  Please pass this message along to your
> friends and I hope you haven't met up with it yet.  It's sad to think that
> something that we look for as Librarians (penpals) could be used so
> negatively.  Have a good day.
> Carol Weinshel
> Helen Keller Middle School
> Easton, CT