Hi LM_Netters:

Recently I asked about the advisability of purchasing audio tapes for a high
school library.  My concern was whether students would only check out the
audio tapes and not read as much.  Several people asked me to post a hit so
here are the responses I received.   I will post this in several parts.

        We have purchased a few--not popular titles, but rather things that students
might be
able to use for classes.  They don't get a lot of circulation.  Our theory is
that some of our        mainstreamed special education students can use the oral
telling of the story in addition to the written work.  The problem we are
running into is that we would like to purchase more unabridged versions, but
they aren't easily available.We have started getting Audio books.
        We had the same reservations thatyou do, but so far the fact of having them
has not been abused.  (We do not advertise that we have them, though.)  They
are mostly used by the teachers who work with learning disabled students who
can listen better than read.  My thinking has changed also since I have
started getting books on tape from the public library to listen to while I
commute to work.  I have gotten through many a good book I know I wouldn't
have read due to lack of time (Truman's biography as an example) that I really
enjoyed on tape. As long as the book is unadbridged, the students who can read
but want to take the "easy" way out, still have to spend many hours listening
and they are getting the full text.
        I "read" audio books all of the time.  I have a 30 minute drive to school
everyday and I use that time to listen to classic books on tape and keep up
with new young adult novels.  I don't feel like I'm missing out on the reading
exprience at all.  (Of course I still read print!)  Sometimes it's nice to let
someone read to me instead of the other way around--in fact if the
narrator is good the experience can be much richer.  If you have the money to
purchase them for your collection, I would recommend sticking to the classics.
It would be a great way to expose students to them!  Interesting note--the
ninth graders at my school don't believe that I should be able to "count" the
books on tape as reading.
        The audio book collection is especially purchased for special students  who
have a difficult time reading. They listen while they read. This is effective
for English as a Second Language at times and learning disability students as
well as low readers generally.
        I am in a public library, but have strong opinions in FAVOR of UNabridged
audio cassettes.  My husband and I listen since we both do a lot of travelling
and it makes a car trip go faster.  The kids, college freshman, HS junior, and
5th grade, all love to listen to the
tapes in the car and often at home.  They have always been read aloud to, so
they are used to listening, not every child is oriented that way.   Now,
specifically for HS.  My daughter, although in AP and honors classes, has a
great deal of trouble going from the printed word to understanding, but works
well from the spoken word.  We have read textbooks and assignments out loud to
her for years.  I do not feel this is cheating.  As the reading assignments
started getting longer (try reading TALE OF TWO CITIES out loud) we latched on
to unabridged tapes.  They are wonderful!  She did not mind spending the 20
hours to listen to the tapes.  Since they are verbatim, I do not feel it
"cheating" not to "read" the book.  it is just a different sense being used.
Since she has listened to most  of her Shakespeare assignments, she has come
to love Shakespeare and even memorized several speeches for a competition, all
from listening to the tapes.  No way could she read them.  Now, abridged might
be somewhat like Cliff Notes, but I do NOT support the abridged--too much like
Readers' Digest predigested works.  Anyway, I hope this helps give you a
different perspective.  I know I have listened to classics, travel
commentaries and all kinds of things I would never take time to read, but they
are great when walking, driving, sewing, etc.  Don't pass judgment until you
have tried some.

--

         Cherokee Community School District - Cherokee, Iowa 51012
         Problems, please contact:  712-225-6767 voice