Thanks to all who sent information on this book, from which a TV movie was
made in 1981 (note date).  The book is NOT about the Posse Comitatus (that
book was written in 1990), but rather about chemical pollution on a dairy
farm in Iowa.  I DID find out that there have been no less than 13 books
with the title Bitter Harvest published in the last 20 years, on topics
ranging from Vietnam to cows, militias, Lebanon, Russia, local politics, and
football.

Here's the kicker -- the day after I posted the request, when I went back to
the teacher with the info he wanted, he told me he was "..no longer
interested."  Grrrrrrr.........

Again, thanks to all who took time to help out.
Mark Williams
Librarian
Colton High School
mark_williams@eee.org