After trying many types of projects to encourage reading with 7th & 8th
graders,(and their teachers), I'd like to know what has worked well for
others.  We have tried to get away from the usual "book report" but have
been disappointed with some of the results with art projects (book jackets,
posters, maps, etc.) due to students' lack of motivation when they are
given a selection of alternative formats.  Most recently I tried modeling a
book talk and discussing with them how to do their own, but again some were
great but many were disappointing.  The English teachers aren't familiar
with the literature so I sat in on the presentations and graded them along
with the teachers because their main concern is "did they really read it?"
One teacher wants to try again, but wants to try something different.

What has worked for you?  If people express an interest, I'll post a hit of
the answers I receive.  Thanks in advance!

Elaine Woods
Wheatland-Chili Jr/Sr H.S.
Scottsville, NY  14546

LM_NET Archive Home