The teachers in my building use the term "genre" to refer to categories
of fiction also.

I questioned this use of the term.  My first degree is a B.A. in English
and the folks in this field use this term to denote genre as literary
type.  Folks outside this field coined a new usage.

Language is behavioral but is also specific.  And so, I continue to use
this term as meaning literary type, i.e. novel, short story, play,
poetry, in the media center.

Thanks for allowing me to say this; the usage has been on my mind.

Louise Edwards
Elementary Librarian
Mount Vernon, WA
ledwards@eagle.esd189.wednet.edu