Dear Netters,
     On February 5, Gloria Horvay wrote:

>In my children's literature course at Drexel University, we were taughtthat
there are six genres, two are nonfiction, and four are fiction.  They are:
Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Historical Fiction, Modern Fantasy, Folk
>Literature, Biography, and Nonfiction.

     Based on the discussion over the last week or so, it seems
we were all taught many different things.  Apparently, the
Library of Congress has its own list of acceptable genres.
I regularly purchase card kits from them.  In addition to
(and after) the normal subjects listed in the tracings of the
following books, they have included genre notations, something
new to me:

Madame Bovary
  [gsafd: 1. Genre: Domestic fiction]

The Bourne Identity
  [gsafd: 1. Genre: Adventure stories  2. Genre: Spy stories]

Executioner's Song
  [gsafd: 1. Genre: Biographical fiction]

Weep No More My Lady
  [gsafd: 1. Genre: Detective and mystery stories]

Pillars of the Earth
  [gsafd: 1. Genre: Historical fiction  2. Genre: Epic literature]

The Golden Notebook
  [lcsh: 1. Genre: Domestic fiction]
     (no more "gsafd" ?  Obviously, this means Library of Congress
      Subject Heading.  So why wasn't it simply #4 in the list of
      tracings:  1.  Women--England--London--Fiction  2.  Friendship--
      England--London--Fiction  3.  Women novelists, English--
      Diaries--Fiction.)  I. Title.  [lcsh: 1. Genre: Diary fiction]
      Beats me!

     As I said, these are all in ADDITION to the normal
subject headings listed in the tracings.  And these "Genre"s
are what prompted my "how to catalog" question a few days ago.
I have it on good authority that I can treat these Genre
designations the same as normal subject headings, typing them
in capitals (minus the word "genre,") and filing them in
with my normal subject cards.
     I have no idea how many different genres the Library of
Congress uses.  But I do think they're helpful to my patrons,
and I plan on using them.

     So I have a feeling we're not going to come to agreement
about whether fiction can be subdivided into genres, or how
many.  I have enough battles to fight; I'm not taking on
the Library of Congress!   Especially with my lack of cataloging
training and expertise!

                             Bonnie Fulmer
                             Spackenkill High School Library
                             112 Spackenkill Road