TO THOSE WHO SAY THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND CYBERPORN LOOKING UP
LEGITIMATE THINGS, I SAY THIS...

Try looking up "breast cancer" and see what you come up with.  You might
be shocked.

---------------------------------------
Edward Kachinske
kachinsk@odysseus.gonzaga.pvt.k12.dc.us
---------------------------------------

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Union-Endicott Central School District wrote:

> Students will, can, and do search many words that are not
> curriculum-related, just to see if they are "in there".   If we confess,
> many of us have done the same thing.    Just to see how easy it is, type
> in "sex" as a search word in any Internet search mode, and see what you
> come up with,   It's pretty unbelievable.
>
> Censorship is not the answer.  Education is.    A strong AUP, a realistic
> and thorough information skills program taught by the information expert
> in the school (the librarian ), and consequences for actions that are not
> consistent with the AUP is the best answer.
>
> Government interfering with freedom of access to information is the worst
> possible scenario.
>
> Gail Dickinson
>
> On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Carol Simpson wrote:
>
> > On 10 Feb 1996, Tom Whipple wrote:
> >
> > > to be so familiar with. I've been using the internet for seven years and =
> > > no one has made be view or read anything that I did not go looking for. =
> >
> > I will second that.  I have NEVER come across anything inappropriate
> > (even in the days of less-than-optimum indexing) while doing an
> > appropriate search.  Sure, it's quite easy to find porn if you look up
> > words like the f-word, or even close variants of appropriate words such
> > as "doggy" (as in doggy-style).  Chances of a student searching on those
> > terms in a curriculum-related search are slim.  For those who expect that
> > students will search on "dog" and find "doggy-style", look for a search
> > engine that ranks results based on how close the results conform to the
> > original query.  Thus, "dog" is at the top of the list with a result of
> > 100, and "doggy" is way down a long list with a rating of 30 or so.
> > There is the problem of searching words such as "sexual" as in sexually
> > transmitted diseases and locating information on sexual positions). No
> > internet advice on that one!  However, information about sexual
> > positions isn't considered "indecent" and certainly not pornographic
> > when presented in an informational manner.

LM_NET Archive Home