Betty, ET AL--
        Aren't keyboarding skills mandated by TEA? My mother teaches 4th
grade near Austin & I believe she's told me her kids are required to go
to computers every week, & part of the curriculum is keyboarding skills.
I know here at my elementary, 2nd - 4th grade go to computers at least
once a week & they DO start out with the traditional a,a,a,j,j,j,
etc.--besides learning what other keys do on the keyboard.

IMHO, there are THREE classes that ought to be on the _required_ HS list
for graduation credits. They are homemaking, auto mechanics, & typing. I
have always told my daughter (now a sophomore) that she WILL take those 3
classes--no ifs, ands, or buts. I have continuously needed my typing
skills--in college for research papers, in several jobs (including NOW!),
& to help out friends, relatives, other students, & kids type papers. In
this day & age, I don't know how students could make it *out there*
without knowing some keyboarding/computer skills. This is just the way
the world is going now.

*   Debbie Collier          Orange Grove Elementary  *
*   Librarian &             Houston, Texas           *
*   "Resourceress"          COLLIE@TENET.EDU         *