Thank you to all who responded to this TARGET.  Sorry it has taken me so long
to compile a HIT.  BTW, for those of you who wanted to know what step I
took--I am guilty of expurgation.

Isn't it funny how those pages attract like a magnet! I had an atlas at
the middle school that had all kinds of information and right in the
middle was a tiny picture (about 1.5 inches square) of the nude beach on
the French Riviera right in the middle of the book. I had no more than put
the brand new book out and the 6th grade boys found the picture! Now how
do you figure that?  Anyway, I just left it.

A librarian before me just use a felt tipped marker and inked clothes on
one or two pictures in other books.

Withdraw. Don't you have anything else that provides information on this
country? Sounds like it may be offensive to women also.

     Though I have always considered myself a very liberal person
opposed to censorship, I have occasionally had to reverse directions
because of problems just like yours. Although I'm now in high school
library, I spent 17 years in Elementary. I have often joked that I
sent an entire generation of students through thnking that
prehistoric men and women wore black bikinis.I actually drew as
discreetly as possible  over genitals on a few of our books which
were great books. The students had discovered the pictures and kept
everone in an uproar over them constantly, so I just solved the
problem. Depending on the book, I might just draw her some panties on.

One has to take into consideraton the ages of the patrons and the
community's more's...rather than being a crusader who faces all
challenges to freedom to read whatever at any age group...I would cut the
page out...librarians practice censorship...only we call it "book
selection." Dave--33yrs in education...25 as a librarian, from K through
12, and some public library experience.

  My gut reation is to see the page censored or removed and say
nothing about it nor claim credit for it.  By censored I mean
covering or drawing clothes on the photo.

Some people may not like this response but its very practical and
avoids problems.   Would I do this with a picture of Michaelangelo's
David?  No.

Lose it.

        What does your selection policy say?  Ours protects us in that we
must have published reviews to back our collection.  Why not see if you
can find a review for the book in question.  If so, is the book
recommended for your age group of students?  That might help you make a
decision.  If a review is not available, ALA has been helpful in the past
to help us locate one.

We have had to use a black marker in strategic places on a few books over
the years.  Would you be able to doctor up the one offending picture using
this technique?

I don't think removing the page is a good idea.
ON THE OTHER HAND, I finally removed a book last year.  It was a very
simple book with male and female anatomy labeled in French.  I had no
objection to the book what-so-ever but I was constantly policing and
breaking up groups of laughing students who were disrupting everyone else
as they pointed at the pictures.
We finally moved the book into the French collection where it was used by
the teachers and taken to the classes.  Can a Social Studies teacher house
the book if it will be used for that class?
I don't even consider this a censorship issue as such.  It's more a
question of appropriate media center behavior for students - especially if
the book supports the curriculum and has a definite value as a resource to
teachers.

Good luck.  Let us know what you do  :)

I'd tell those hormonal boys that if they can't deal with the photograph
in a mature way that they can't look at it in the library.  One page
should not preclude using an otherwise useful book.  Tell those boys to
grow up!

Ive gone through that in my K-5 school with all sorts of books including
National Geographics.  It will pass.  It may come back again with every
grade 6but if you tend to ignore the activity it will eventually go
away.  I would keep the book.  If necessary you can put the book behind
your desk for a while (or even on reserve, so to speak.)  If sixth
graders dodn't find something to snicker at, they'll hunt for it.

        Is there description in the text to explain the picture?

        What makes you feel more uncomfortable--cancelling the book;
eliminating the picture, or leaving it as is?   In a k=6 building, I would
not be comfortable with the photo.  In a high school, the picture would go
quickly--probably before it's seen by the libn. (along with Sports Illus &
other bathing suits).  Do you have a policy for donations?  Would you feel
the same way if you had purchased the book?

        No easy answers!!!! Please share information you receive.

Hello!  I was reading the postings ib lm_net and read your request.  I
think that you should consider the merit of the work based on your
acquisitions policy. Does the work meet the criteria that you have set in
doing the selection of all learning resources?  I note that you mention it
was donated and you could see how it fit with the Grade 6 Social Studies
curriculum. Being from British Columbia, I am not that familiar with the Gr
6 SS curric in Alberta.  How does it fit in?  What is the work generally
about?  Just food for thought.

Hilda - I have always found that a school stamp in appropriate places dulls the
interest in those kind of pictures.  If the book is really useful and the
problem continues, I would take it out.

Dear Hilda, I would very carefully cut the picture out so
that it would not be noticed that it was gone.

I had a donated book about left handed people, a cute
little book, but one page had a child picking his nose
with the middle finger.  I decided that it was better
to get rid of that page than to get rid of the whole book.

Hilda, As the parent of a son and as a professional educator, I would
like to suggest that you either remove the picture of the exotic
dancer (this can be done very neatly, not to mention easily, without
damaging the book) OR remove the book from availability to students.
I hardly think that this picture is educationally, morally, socially,
emotionally and any other way beneficial to students.
I thing that if your reason for withdrawing is only "to avoid any complaints
from parents," you don't have a leg to stand on!  Sometimes doing the right
thing is uncomfortable, esp. in libraries!  Do what you think & know is
right...whatever you find that is.  Balance the good the book will provide
to the curric. with whatever "bad" you perceive. You'll probably get more
comfortable as you write your list down!

Good luck.

  Judging from the reaction of the kids--typical of course--I would say you
will definitely have parents/teachers commenting on this.  I don't think
that should be the factor which influences your decision;  however, I think
I would find some book reviews of the book to make sure that it comes
recommended and for what ages since gift books should be subjected to the
same scrutiny as the ones we buy.  I think I would also show the book to
the teachers whose curriculum you think it would support to make sure they
concur.  Unfortunately, if the photo is that distracting, the kids in the
class may never look at anything else.

Why don't you weigh out the ideal and the realistic.  From professional
librarians you are going to receive replies stressing "right to read"
and opposing censorship.

On the other hand, who's career is involved here?  Where would your
support come from?  Another pragmatic concern, what kind of rapport
do you have with your school community?  If you have been under attack
for issues like this on numerous occasions, then this could be the last
straw. On the other hand, if the parents and kids respect you, if you
have tenure and the support of staff and administrators, then you
will weather the storm with ease.

I am suggesting all this as someone who (in his youth) sought out
controversy too often.  In retrospect I wish I had established high
credibility, then picked the issues that were most important to me.
That is another issue.  How important is this book/issue to you
personally, since it is your library, your selection policy, and
not least of all, your neck?

Hilda Mah  <hmah@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Alex Taylor Community School
Edmonton, Alberta