Deborah - I had a similar experience with a teacher. A sixth grade girl
checked out Girls and Sex and the teacher brought the student to me and
announced that she could not have this inappropriate book and she should
get another (all said within hearing distance of class members). I went
straight to my principal. Since it was the beginning of school in a new
school with new staff, nothing was done about it, but now the teacher and
the principal
know me and this will not happen again. Since I had hand picked every
book on the shelf to make sure that the books chosen for this library are
the best and most appropriate for our population (5&6 grade), I was
personally insulted by the teacher's disregard for the student. And we
wonder what is wrong with KIDS today!
*       Pat Sebastian           Alief I.S.D.            *
*       Librarian               6900 Turtlewood         *
*       Owens Intermediate      Houston, TX 77072       *
*       pgs@tenet.edu           Phone: 713-983-8466     *