On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Mary Simmons wrote:

>  Thanks for all your suggestions.  But my teacher has remembered more about
> this book.  It is about two adults, not children, who are both slaves, she
> looks white, and they are married on a plantation & later escape.  They get
> on a riverboat, she pretends to be his owner, he her slave, and they escape.
> If you folks can figure this out, ya'll are great!! (I know you are anyway.)

I'm not in my school at the moment, but I believe you are referring to  the
the true story of William and Ellen Craft who escaped in 1848.  William posed
as Ellen's servant as they made their escape.  They later wrote a
narrative of their experience, but the book you are talking about was
written for children.

Mabra Barge
mbarge@umd5.umd.edu

LM_NET Archive Home