I agree -- newsletters are one of the most time-efficient ways of letting a
large number of people know what goes on in your library.  Ours goes out once
a month to all staff (including secretaties, custodians, cafeteria, etc.),
all district administrators, local TV and radio stations, newspapers, board
members, and other community leaders.  This pays off when we need help with
something or wish to inform the community of a special exhibit or the like.
 It also helps when the budget knives come out each year -- I don't want
those making money decisions to make themin ignorance of what the library
does on a day to day basis.  You don't want them to say "What do they
actually DO in the library?"  You want them to say, "We CAN'T cut the library
program!"  And they will only say that if they know what we do.

I know we kill a lot of trees in what was once called "Mark's relentless
publicity machine", but I like to think they die in a good cause -- books and
libraries!

Mark Williams
Librarian
Colton High School