I wanted to add my 2 bits--I am a Librarian, and am proud to
introduce myself as such.  Millenia ago the information was held on
scrolls, then on sheepskin pages, then paper, now it's hard drives and
cd-roms, but it's all information and we are trained to manage it,
store it, and bring it to the people who need it.  I am active on all
the technology issues at my school, am seen as a computer advisor,
and am not at all viewed as old fashioned or behind the times.  It is
not a problem for people to see the Librarian as involved in this
way.

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Cletus Schirra wrote:
> No matter how we wrap it, paint it, spray it, wallpaper it, plaster it or
> color it with crayons, we are still LIBRARIANS.  As long as we continue
> to dazzle them with brilliance, we won't have to baffle them with bull****.
> Clete Schirra                           schirrac@icarus.lis.pitt.edu
> South Park High School Media Center     schirra@calvin.cc.duq.edu

Clete:

I think you're absolutely right.  Whatever librarians choose to call
themselves, the people in the classrooms, the offices, the hallway, and
the community are going to call them librarians.  A rose by any other name
and all that.  Librarian is an honorable title and people will learn that
its meaning changes over time to stay abreast of developments.

It's a waste of time for librarians to fight it.  From the principal's,
assistant principal's, and teachers' point of view, the title means
nothing, and to be constantly reminded that they should use some other
title is an irritation.  It creates a caricature of profesisonalism and
reinforces the "fussy" stereotype.

I'd offer only this advice as a former high school teacher, assistant
principal, and principal to the LM_NET group and others:  If the title is so
important to you, have it printed on a memo pad, in the job description,
in the faculty roster and phone book, in the accreditation report, and
anywhere else you can get it written.  Introduce yourself with the title
and ask to be introduced using it.  But -- once past that point -- let it
go!  Don't disrupt the flow of the other educator's thought or action, or
the thoughts or actions of anyone else upon whom you are dependent for
support, by calling your title into question whenever it is mis-spoken or
mis-written.  People will say the title for you, but inside they'll be
saying something else.

In the long run, the expenditure of so much thought and time on this
subject is just a waste.

Gary Hartzell
Department of Educational Administration
University of Nebraska, Omaha
ghartz@cwis.unomaha.edu
(402) 554-3442

Shannon Acedo, Librarian (acedos@marlborough.la.ca.us)