     AACR2 has a chapter (9) on bibliographic description for computer
software which would be helpful.  The 538 note field of the MARC record is
reserved for system requirements information.  This might be one place for a
note regarding the placement of software on harddrives.  Or, you could put
that information under a general note.
     The issue of harddrive storage of software needed to run CD-ROM discs is
thorny.  With harddrive system protection software on many computers, it is
impossible for students to reinstall that software each time they want to run
a disc.  On the other hand, storing the software on a specific computer often
creates a bottleneck when another student is on that specific computer.
 Networks and towers solve part of this  problem, but much of the multimedia
CDs do not run well on networks, so we are back to stand-alone stations and
the same problem.  In a large lab with multiple CDs being used at the same
time, it can become a lab attendant's nightmare.  How do others deal with
this?
     One painful lesson I learned in a previous position is to be very
careful about cataloging with a quick fix perspective.  In that situation
folks were short on time and personnel, so they used accession numbers for
organization and a word processor to create a list of the software.  We all
know the problems that kind of a system can generate.  Of course, the
software collection grew by leaps and bounds and it wasn't too long before
rectifying the situation was so time consuming that it was a hopeless case.
     I do believe that to the best of our ability the catalog in the LMC
should reflect the resources of the school.   That is the only way we can
truly be considered the learning hub of the school.  Such a concept is
dependent on personnel and time resources in the LMC however.  Sometimes
compromises have to be made but I would get at least a brief MARC record in
the electronic catalog and I would classify using Dewey.  Software manuals
are another thorny issue.  When we need them, WE NEED THEM, so easy retrieval
of at least one set should be a priority.  However, in many ways they are
like paperbacks, so author, title, VERSION NO., and producer are probably the
most critical elements . . . . along with a subject or note entry that will
enable access by the specific software application title.
Marjorie Pappas
University of Northern Iowa
319-273-2578
Email:  marjoriep@aol.com