At 07:27 PM 1/3/96 EST, Kathryn K. Lafferty wrote:
>My father has recently begun using AOL, and when he writes a
>message offline in Word, then copies and pastes it into e-mail,
>the message ends up with extra garbage:  odd line spacing,
>which I think can be solved by setting his right margin to
>about 2.5, and also =signs and numbers (20? 60?) etc.  I've
>also seen this on a few postings to the net.  He's using a 386
>PC.  Does anyone know how this can be cured?  It's fine if he
>composes on line, but that costs $$$.

Kathryn,

A couple of suggestions.for your father:

        1.   If he's using a 386, is it possible he's using a DOS version of
Word?  In order to use the cut and paste method of composing off-line, the
Windows version of one's word processor must be used.

        2.  AOL has its own off-line composing feature, so that it is not
necessary to go to the trouble of firing up the old word processor to
compose.  Simply open AOL's compose mail menu item before connecting to the
telephone line.  When the message is completed, click the "Send Later"
button.  The next time he signs on, AOL will notify him that he has mail to
be sent.  To send it, choose "Read Outgoing Mail" from the mail menu, then
click the "Send All" button.

        I hope this helps.

Ted Lissauer
Fisherville, Kentucky