What's the software for making word searches, crossword puzzles, etc. I
don't have it, but it sounds like fun!
****************************************************************************+*
        Jennifer M.Lyons                        St. Paul's Academy
        jlyons@oswego.edu                       115 #E. 5th Street
        jwlyons@mailbox.syr.edu                 Oswego, New York 13126

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Anne C Oelke wrote:

> Karen,
>
> I'm not sure just what kind of activities you are thinking of--structured
> lessons or pick up and do sorts of unstructured activities,
> but----------here's a couple of ideas I've used:
>
> Word finds, crosswords or mazes related to libraries, books, authors etc.
> There's computer software available to make them.
>
> bookmarks with dot-to-dot pictures or pictures to be colored
>
> Favorite Gr. 5 research project:
> Fly High with Research:  Each student chooses a state.  Makes a kite from
> construction paper (simple diamond shape) and puts state name, flag, bird,
> flower, motto on the kite.  Then they find facts from different sources and
> write the fact on a "tail" section for the kite (kind of a bow tie shape on
> 8 1/2 x 11" paper).  They also include all the bibliographic info for the
> source.  Each different type of source (encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, book,
> internet, CD etc) used a different color of paper.  Thus they have to use a
> variety of types of sources to complete the project while working relatively
> independently.  You can vary the subject matter (state, country, animal,
> city, etc), and even the form you use.  Last year we had a rainforest
> emphasis, so they made vines with different shapes of leaves (I couldn't
> come up with 6 shades of green paper!!) and found rainforest facts.  I use
> yarn to staple or tape the kite tales on, or as the vine.
>
> Have fun, and post a collection of ideas you get.
>
> Anne

> Anne Oelke                     | "Some days are like that,
> acoelke@peoples.net            |  even in Australia!"
> Cambria-Friesland School Dst.  |  Judith Viorst in _Alexander
> Cambria, WI                    | & the Terrible, Horrible,
>                                | No Good, Very Bad Day_.

LM_NET Archive Home