From: "April L. Dail" <adail@mailer.fsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list LM_NET <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Subject: joblines
  I'd like to thank everyone who sent an address. This is long but I sent
everything out under the assumption that everyone is looking for
something different!  Good luck!

Colorado has a library job hotline on the statewide network, ACLIN,
Access Colorado: Library Information Network.

> [...]
>paying the fees necessary to post jobs with this service. Many placement
>offices are responding to this issue by continuing--for the meantime--to
>prepare print based bulletins for those seeking teaching jobs. That said,
>JobTrak is destined to quickly become the starting point of choice for work
>bound college grads.
>
>2.4  ONLINE CAREER CENTER (OCC)
>
>     gopher host:  occ.com
>     select:       \ Online Career Center

>Another hands down first choice is the Online Career Center, a non-profit
>employer association.  Job opportunities included favor high tech
>positions though real opportunities exist in other fields as well. Users
>can submit ASCII (plain text) versions of their resume at no charge, to be
>maintained at OCC for 90 days. All attendant fees are paid by OCC member
>employers, who pay annually to post their openings with the service. Job
>seekers can search OCC's list of job openings by job title, keyword,
>company name, or by geographical region. Unlike other similar services,
>OCC doesn't belie any geographic bias: they really do hire for positions
>across the entire U.S. and abroad.
>
>3.3  JOBS AT SPECIFIC COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES
>
>Numerous colleges and universities in the U.S., and increasingly the
>world, have their job postings available on the Internet.  Each
>institution's postings may vary in its organization, scope, and
>timeliness.  There are several places on the Net that collect lists of
>these sites, including:
>
>     Texas A & M: JOBS page

>     Rice Univ.'s RiceInfo Gopher: Jobs and Employment
>
>     gopher host: riceinfo.rice.edu
>     select:      \ Information by Subject Area
>                   \ Jobs and Employment

>3.4  UNIV. MINNESOTA COLLEGE OF EDUCATION'S JOB-SEARCH BULLETIN
>     BOARD
>
>     gopher host:  rodent.cis.umn.edu 11119

>This "bulletin board" pulls together hundreds of brief job postings
>focused on the K-12 educational field.  Categories include administration,
>media specialty, psychology, and counseling; early childhood development
>and elementary education; higher education; and secondary, special,
>vo-tech education, and phys-ed.  Because of this organization, the system
>is easy to browse by specialty.  A search capability allows more
>flexibility and enables the job hunter to focus quickly on potential
>positions.
>
>This Internet resource is an outgrowth of the College's printed bulletin,
>updated weekly.  While the organizers accept job postings from anywhere in
>the world, the vacancies listed are almost all in the United States.  A
>few quirks of the system bear mentioning: the "higher education" section
>includes a large number of high-school related entries, in addition to the
>expected college/university postings.  Some specific postings are titled
>only "Vacancies", requiring the job hunter to sift through more material

Hi,
I maintain a web site for my school library. On one page I have some links
to some job sites that I have found on the web. The address of the page is
http://www.libertynet.org/~bertland/books.html

http://carousel.lis.uiuc.edu/~jobs/
This is the Univ. of Ill. library job list, but it references other
listings. Carol Sturz, Batavia M.S., Batavia, IL

I recently searched for on-line job sources.  Most are for all types of
librarians, inclu. school.
Am forwarding a couple to you.

[...]

1. Educator's Job Corner
This directory is a great place for teachers who want to explore
professional opportunities.  It houses an archive of items posted to the
American Educational Research Association (AERA) mailing list, plus
pointers to other Net job listings for teachers.

Gopher to: gopher.inform.umd.edu
Follow the path:
->Educational Resources
->Academic resources by topic
->Education resources
->Educator's job corner

2. The following information was taken from The Clearinghouse for
Subject-Oriented Internet Resource Guides at the University of
Michigan (directions for accessing the guides are attached):

==  2.  Best of the Best  ==============================================

On the Net, two resources tower above the rest in terms of breadth,
number of job postings, effective organization, timeliness, and ease of
use. We've listed them in a class by themselves, because they span so
many of our more specific categories.  Start with these in your job
search.

2.1  THE CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION

     gopher host:  chronicle.merit.edu

     select:       \ job openings

The Chronicle lists over 700 current positions in higher education and
related fields, and includes broad categories of faculty and research
openings, administrative and executive positions, and positions outside
of academe.  These categories are further organized into numerous
specific areas for easy browsing. The entire list is searchable by
keyword, and the search can be restricted to the Northeast U.S., the
South, West, Midwest, or to jobs outside the U.S.

The Chronicle of Higher Education, published since 1966, is the premier
news magazine in the higher education field; it is published
approximately every two weeks.  The online version includes excerpts and
summaries of articles appearing in the print copy, and complete listings
of its job postings which are paid advertisements.  Only the current
issue is available online.

2.2  ONLINE CAREER CENTER (OCC)

     gopher host:  msen.com

Another hands down first choice is the Online Career Center operated by
MSEN, a non-profit employer association located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Job opportunities included favor high tech positions though real
opportunities exist in other fields as well.  Users can submit ASCII
(plain text) versions of their resume at no charge, to be maintained at
MSEN for 90 days.  All attendant fees are paid by MSEN member employers,
who pay annually to post their openings with the service.  Job seekers
can search MSEN's list of job openings by job title, keyword, company
name, or by geographical region.  Unlike other similar services, MSEN
doesn't belie any geographic bias: they really do hire for positions
across the entire U.S. and abroad.

==  3.  Best Bets in Education & Academe  ==============================

As good as it is in education, the Chronicle (2.1) isn't the only
resource out there.  Here are a few more gems.

3.1  ACADEMIC POSITION NETWORK

     gopher host:  wcni.cis.umn.edu 11111

Job announcements on the APN include faculty, administrative, and staff
positions in higher education, along with graduate assistant and
fellowship positions. The APN's strongest area is in faculty positions.
Job postings come primarily from colleges and universities, but several
research institutions (like Argonne National Laboratory) are members, as
are a few businesses.  As of October 1994, the APN listed 187 jobs from
92 institutions.

The positions are easily browsable by state or country.  Most of the
jobs are in the U.S., but Canada and Australia have some current
postings.  The full text of each posting is searchable, so one can
search by job title or any keyword. The service is run by a non-profit
collaborative involved with education, science and technology, which
charges a one-time fee to listing institutions; there is no fee for
those seeking positions.

3.2  UNIV. MINNESOTA COLLEGE OF EDUCATION'S JOB-SEARCH BULLETIN BOARD

     gopher host:  rodent.cis.umn.edu 11119

This "bulletin board" pulls together hundreds of brief job postings
focused on the K-12 educational field.  Categories include
administration, media specialty, psychology, and counseling; early
childhood development and elementary education; higher education; and
secondary, special, vo-tech education, and phys.-ed.  Because of this
organization, the system is easy to browse by specialty, and a search
capability allows more flexibility and enables the job hunter to focus
quickly on potential positions.

This Internet resource is an outgrowth of the College's printed
bulletin, updated weekly.  While the organizers accept job postings from
anywhere in the world, the vacancies listed are almost all in the United
States.  A few quirks of the system bear mentioning: the "higher
education" section includes a large number of high-school related
entries, as well as the expected college/university postings.  Some
specific postings are titled only "Vacancies", requiring the job hunter
to sift through more material than might otherwise be necessary.

3.3  ACADEMIC PHYSICIAN AND SCIENTIST

     gopher host:  aps.acad-phy-sci.com

APS lists over 400 positions in academic medicine, from 126 medical
schools and affiliated teaching hospitals-the largest and most
comprehensive collection of its kind.  APS includes administrative
positions, positions in basic science, clinical science, and
opportunities with the Food and Drug Administration. The postings are
easily browsable by specialty, and each section is searchable for
specialty, location, or other keyword.

3.4  JOBS AT SPECIFIC COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

Numerous colleges and universities in the U.S., and increasingly the
world, have their job postings available through the Internet.  Each
institution's postings may vary in its organization, scope, and
timeliness.  There are  several places on the Net that collect lists of
these sites, including:

   Texas A & M'S JOBS PAGE

   Rice University's RiceInfo gopher
     gopher host: riceinfo.rice.edu
     select:      \ Information by Subject Area
                   \ Jobs and Employment

How to Access Resource Guides available from the Clearinghouse

Access to these guides is available via Anonymous FTP,
Gopher, and WorldWideWeb/Mosaic (see below).  From
within Gopher, a WAIS index of the full text of these
guides is searchable.

anonymous FTP:
            host:  una.hh.lib.umich.edu
            path:  /inetdirsstacks
            (a key to the file names is available from
            the FTPable file .README-FOR-FTP)

Gopher:
            gopher.lib.umich.edu
              =>What's New and Featured Resources
                =>Clearinghouse...

Gopher .link file:
Name=Clearinghouse for Subject-Oriented Internet Resource Guides (UMich)
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1/inetdirs
Host=una.hh.lib.umich.edu

Uniform Resource Locators (URL):
            http://http2.sils.umich.edu/~lou/chhome.html or
            http://www.lib.umich.edu/chhome.html or
            gopher://una.hh.lib.umich.edu/11/inetdirs

*** Career Magazine

This is a comprehensive resource for job seekers and
career-minded professionals. The magazine includes 6,000 to 12,000 current
job openings with a simple search engine, articles, company profiles,
discussion group, classifieds and an executive recruiter directory. The
magazine is free to readers and accepts articles from qualified authors
and professionals.

http://www.careermag.com/careermag/

*** Getajob!
http://www.teleport.com/~pcllgn/gaj.html

*** JOBTRAK
JOBTRAK is a national database for recruiting college students and alumni
for full-time and part-time, professional and non- professional job
vacancies. The company has formed partnerships with over 300 college
career centers nationwide and is used by over 150,000 employers.
gopher to:   gopher.jobtrak.com

Try:  gopher://rodent.cis.umn.edu:11119/.  I just requested that our position
(California Middle School LMS) be included in their online education positions
listings.
Rosie

LM_NET Archive Home