OK, here's my two-bits:

This is certainly sounds like a great idea on the surface - for libraries
to be open more hours, like Barnes and Nobles - but how are we going
justify the funding?  Libraries provide a not-for-profit public service,
unlike bookstores which are in it for the money.  If Barnes and Nobles were
not making a good profit being open so many hours in a week, they would not
do so, either.  If we follow this logic, we'll need to be buying enough
copies of popular materials that any patron can have their own on demand.
How can we justify this?  Our local public library buys oodles of copies of
best sellers only to turn around and sell them at a huge loss as soon as
the rush is over.  Even with a huge number of holdings, people still have
to wait to get a copy.

I really think we're talking about apples and oranges here.  Free of charge
beats paying for many people, me included.  And if I just have to get that
book before I can get to the library, that's my choice.

Julie Anderson, Librarian                (206) 813-7301
Kentwood High School                    janderso@kent.wednet.edu
25800 164th Ave SE
Kent, WA  98042                                   Life, liberty, and the
pursuit of happiness are not "Special Rights."

LM_NET Archive Home