We are also participating in a First Search project. I have many
concerns, not the least of which is this is the worst time of year to be
doing any testing.

During this school year, we worked with Ebsco via the Internet. The cost
was high - about $2000 per participant. But you could print unlimited
numbers of articles, so the cost per article varied a lot.

With First Search - how many articles are going to be free and how many
are going to cost extra and of these groups, which are the most
appropriate for your school.

Tomorrow we are having a vendor workshop of about six document delivery
services - if there are any super insights I would be glad to share with
the group.

Cynthia LaPier, MLS
SCT BOCES                 Computer Services Center
School Library System
459 Philo Rd.             Elmira, NY 14903
FON 607-739-3581          FAX 607-796-5125

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Gladys Furness wrote:

>         Our 300 student K-12 school was supposed to be participating in a
> 2 month tril of First Search sponsored by the local #Rs council.  Unable
> to attend the training session (4 hour round trip), I didn't receive my
> password until midway thru the first month, and the supporting
> documentation arrived on the last day of the first month!
>         I now find out I have to make a decision about whether to
> participate for next year in 2 weeks.  Our share of the cost would run
> around $500 per year-which while possible, is a substantial chunk of
> change for our small school.
>         I don't feel I can make a truly informed decision in two
> weeks-can those of you who have used the service comment and help me at
> least make an educated guess?
>         TIA!
> Gladys Furness
> Westport Central School