     Hi.. I heard something on the radio this morning that has me really
perturbed.  A public library somewhere (???) had a patron with three overdue
books for over 6 months.  They had her arrested, fingerprinted and "booked"
and the judge told her to return the books, stay out of trouble for six
months and the charges would be dropped.  Is it only me, or do think this is
just what the library profession really does NOT need to do?????   We keep
talking about positive attitudes towards the library and then this publicity
comes out. How can this  help promote anything but the negative.  Maybe if
the books were rare, first editions that were worth millions, but then, they
would be "rare" books and not circulate.... doesn't make sense to me....
Very confused,  more so, than normally...bev

Bev Rovelli                      brovelli@ns1.relex.com
Lyncourt School
2707 Court Street                phone:315-455-7571
Syracuse, New York  13208        fax 315-455-7573

Teaching the 3 R's:  respect for self
                     respect for others
                     responsibilitiy for one's own actions

LM_NET Archive Home