I only received a few responses, but here they are.  We decided to go with
the Facts on File set.  Thanks to all who wrote.

From: Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

We have a lot of the Facts on File reference books; some are used, some
not.  I think it is partly a matter of educating the teachers.  At any
rate, I showed our World History teacher, who does a big unit on Africa,
the flyer on the Facts on File African series.  He asked me to order it
for next year.  He went over the list of topics covered, etc. and found
that the series addresses just what he wants.  In this case, I'm pretty
sure it will be used.  In fact, he said he'd like me to consider the
Asian series next year.  If you have specific teachers who are looking
for sources on Africa, ask them if they could use the series.  This guy
who wants the African series has a bunch of books on Africa that he has
collected over the years in his room.  He says he has enough info, just
wants to supplement it in the library.  I keep telling him the kids need
to be coming to the library to get information because they aren't
learning anything about locating and accessing information if he hands
them the books they need from his collection.  He said that was probably
true, so I'm hoping this will get him started on bringing classes in.

From: sbloom1@ix.netcom.com (scott a bloom)

Hi, Gale Research now puts out the Worldmark Ency of Nations, which
someone else used to do. While you can't just buy the Africa volume,
the whole set, 5 or 6 books I think would prob be valuable. Also I
think it will be out on cd-rom later in the year.
Scott

I recently bought some books on Africa for our
world history class.  It was from School Social Studies (sciences?)
Services or something like that.  They had social studies info only in the
catalog and it was a combination of AV and book.  When I get to school
again (we were out on May 31st) I will look up the P.O. and send you the
information.

Paula Zsiray

Library Media Teacher
Mountain Crest High School
255 South 800 East
Hyrum, Utah   84319
(801)245-6093
FAX: (801)245-3818

From: fd124@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Kathi Redrup)

How about People and Places (a 6 vol. set by World Book), Lands and
Peoples (also a 6 vol. set.), Worldmark Ency. of World Nations,
Clements Ency. of World Governments (1 vol. only).  Do you use almanacs?
How about Background Notes, Culturgrams? Hope this helps.
Kathi Redrup

Thought you might want to check out Culturgrams for a good starting point.
We update and revise the series annually each August, adding new countries
then as well. We currently have 33 countries in our Africa set, and will be
adding 4 new countries this August to our 1996-97 Africa set.

If you have any questions, or would like a free sample and/or catalog (with
no obligation) either send me your mailing address, fax number, or call us
toll-free (800) 528-6279.

Culturgrams:  Building bridges of cultural understanding for 20 years
                    http://www.byu.edu/culturgrams

David Deem                                e-mail: David_Deem@byu.edu
Kennedy Center Publications      phone: 800-528-6279
Brigham Young University          fax: 801-378-5882
PO Box 24538
Provo, UT  84602-4538
Stamford High School
Library Media and Technology Center